Drug abuse is a significant health concern in America, with the youth being the most affected. People abuse drugs to momentarily forget their life problems due to the pleasurable “high” provided by these substances. At Genesis New Beginning, board-certified medical experts in behavioral health in Huntington Beach, CA, offer individualized treatment plans and care for patients tackling substance abuse.
Understanding substance abuse
Substance abuse involves the use of illegal drugs or excessive use of legal drugs. Substance abuse is physically and mentally dangerous to your health and wellness.
Commonly abused substances
Some of the most abused drugs include:
- Alcohol- Abusing alcohol increases your chances of injury. Drinking too much alcohol can cause liver cirrhosis and other health problems.
- Prescription and Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medicine- Although prescription and Over-the-Counter Medicine are legal, they can also be dangerous and addictive. Abuse of Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medicine involves:
- Taking someone else’s prescribed medication
- Taking extra doses or using a drug other than the recommended way
The types of prescription drugs most often abused include cough and cold medicines containing dextromethorphan, pain relievers like opioids, sleep, and anxiety medications.
- Heroine- Heroine causes addiction. The abusing of heroin also leads to chills, nervousness, anxiety, and nausea.
- Cocaine- Cocaine is one of the most addictive drugs. Taking too much cocaine leads to anxiety and even death.
- Marijuana- Although marijuana is increasingly being legalized and used for medical purposes, too much marijuana dulls the mind. Smoking marijuana is also unhealthy for your throat and lungs.
- Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products- Smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products are highly addictive and can lead to cancer and even death.
Signs and symptoms of substance abuse
Most people dealing with substance abuse assume that they are in control and can quit taking drugs whenever they decide to stop. However, some may not realize that they are addicted. Here are some of the signs you might be abusing drugs:
- Without having used the drug, you feel demotivated and lack interest in things you used to enjoy
- Intense cravings for the drug(s)
- Changes in appetite
- Stop doing basic things like eating or showering
- Irregular sleeping patterns
- Difficulty in maintaining relationships
- Preferring to be left alone
- Mood swings
Treatment of substance abuse
Substance abuse manifests differently in every person, and therefore treatment depends on a person’s condition and the drug abused.
At Genesis New Beginning, treatment for substance abuse involves:
- Detoxification services
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Individual and group therapy
- The use of drugs like Naltrexone, Suboxone, or antidepressants to help manage your condition.
- 12-step recovery programs
- Evidence-based treatments
Substance abuse treatment plans such as outpatient care help to promote accountability and mental health care.
At Genesis New Beginning, outpatient services offered to help patients recover from substance abuse involve:
- Drug and alcohol testing to monitor patients’ progress
- Continued education concerning substance abuse and its dangers
- Therapy helps deal with the underlying life problems a patient may be trying to escape and family counseling for support.
You must seek help when you notice signs of substance abuse in yourself or a loved one.
To get more information concerning substance abuse, contact Genesis New Beginning by phone or schedule a consultation using the online booking tool.