Infertility refers to the inability of a woman to conceive despite trying for at least a year. Both men and women can experience infertility. An infertile man has too few or unhealthy sperm to combine with the egg of a woman. A lot of couples can easily become pregnant. However, some factors can make it hard for some couples to conceive. Thankfully, couples who cannot conceive can take advantage of available New York infertility treatments.
Common Causes of Infertility in Women
Men and women experience infertility for various reasons. Female infertility can be due to the following issues:
- Ovulation issues- Women can experience ovulation issues for many reasons. Substance abuse, hormonal imbalances, serious stress, thyroid conditions, and pituitary tumors are common reasons.
- Issues with the fallopian tubes- The egg is fertilized by the sperm as it travels through the fallopian tube. If the tube is blocked or scarred, the meet-up between the egg and sperm can be prevented.
- Issues with the uterus- The implantation of the fertilized egg can be hampered because of fibroids and polyps.
- Endometriosis- This condition damages the fallopian tubes and ovaries, impacting egg and sperm movement.
Infertility in women can be treated with medicine or surgery. The medicine is meant to stimulate the ovaries, so they can produce more eggs and increase pregnancy chances. Surgical procedures can be performed if there are issues or blockages with the fallopian tubes. Also, surgery may be needed to get rid of areas of endometriosis, polyps, fibroids, or scarring that can impact fertility.
Moreover, couples can also consider assisted reproductive technology or ART to get pregnant. This technology may help those who have exhausted different infertility treatments but could not conceive. Their options include the following:
- Intrauterine insemination or IUI- This involves inserting healthy sperms into the uterus of a woman during the ovulation period.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)- This expensive procedure requires the stimulation of the ovaries using hormones and removing eggs from a woman to be fertilized with sperm in a lab.
- Third-party-assisted ART- A third party can donate sperm, embryos, or eggs. Also, they can be surrogate or gestational carriers.
Living With Infertility
Being unable to conceive is often emotionally challenging. A couple’s frustration over infertility can negatively affect their relationship. It can be hard to see family members, friends, or even strangers with babies. IVF treatment may compromise a woman’s emotional health because of the hormones and egg-stimulating medicines she is taking. Studies also show that these medicines are associated with breast and ovarian cancer.