You could lose hair due to aging and other conditions; fortunately, with the advancement in hair restoration, you can undergo hair transplant procedures to fix the balding and thinning. Your cosmetologist takes hair from certain parts of the scalp, where the hair is more dense, and transplants it to thinning areas. You can experience a fuller head of hair when you transplant the hair from the sides and the back of your head to the front. Dr. David A. Mayer is a certified surgeon who could help you with the cosmetic procedure.
Hair Transplant Methods
You could opt for Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) when undergoing surgical hair restoration. FUE involves the extraction of singular units of hair from the back and transplanting them to the front using a hair extraction device. These units leave little scars and make your hair appear full and with extra thickness. The scars might not be visible as they are tiny, but with some haircuts you will not notice that you had a hair restoration surgery.
FUT involves the removal of a strip of skin with hair follicles from dense parts and transplanting the strip to the regions with thinning hair. The strip of hair could be used to create a full crown and a more natural hairline. The hair transferred with FUT have a higher chance of surviving as they are intact within the strip of the scalp. FUT procedure could leave notable scars on the head, however, which could be visible with shorter haircuts.
Is Hair Transplant A Good For You?
When performed by an experienced surgeon, hair transplant could offer a potential remedy to hair loss, restoring your hairline and making you feel more confident. It is helpful to educate yourself on factors that affect hair transplant.
- Hair that is genetically sensitive to DHT could continue to fall out after hair transplant
- Your surgeon could recommend using hair loss prevention treatments after treatment
- You are likely to have scars that might be visible after hair transplants
- It is better to choose a surgeon that specializes in hair loss procedures, as the outcome of the procedure could depend on their skills
- Hair transplant does not create new hair as it only transfers hair from one part of the head to another
- For men, a hair transplant could have significant improvement in appearance as the hair used in the restoration process is your actual hair, making the look very natural
The Bottom Line
Deciding on hair restoration through hair transplants requires patience and research, and it is crucial to understand the advantages and side effects of the procedure. You should be realistic about the potential outcome of hair transplants. Remember, this procedure is not possible when you are completely bald. However, if you have a lot of donor hair, you could get a full head and reverse several years of hair loss entirely. Hair transplants, moreover, do not permanently end hair loss, and it could be best to undertake a proactive approach to protecting the hair after the procedure