Aging is a natural process with several facial flaws, including uneven skin pigmentation, loose skin, fine lines, and age spots. These aging effects are undesirable and may sometimes lower your self-confidence. Thanks to advancements in the medical field, Dr. Tiffany Su in Houston may help you create a smoother and youthful look using a minimally invasive procedure known as micro-needling.
What Is Micro-needling?
This cosmetic procedure involves using a device covered with tiny shallow needles to cause micro-injuries that prompt your skin to produce more collagen. This procedure is safe for most adults and people of different skin colors. However, your doctor may advise against micro-needling if you are pregnant, if you’ve recently had radiation treatment, you have an open wound, or you have skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
How Do You Prepare for Micro-needling?
Before treatment, it is essential to consult with your doctor to ensure you are a good candidate for the process. Here, you have a chance to discuss with your specialist your desired results. Your specialist will also discuss with you what to expect during and after micro-needling. You will also need to provide your doctor with a list of your current medications. After establishing you are suitable for this procedure, your doctor will give you pre-treatment instructions to minimize side effects and ensure better results. For example:
- Avoid exposing your skin to the sun for long hours, at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Do not wax or use depilatory creams on the treatment area a week before treatment.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, ibuprofen, and Motrin as they interfere with the natural inflammatory process critical for skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid using topical agents such as exfoliants as they increase your skin’s sensitivity.
What to Expect During Treatment
- Your doctor will clean your face to remove makeup, sunscreen, powder, oil, or lotion. This takes place upon arrival at your doctor’s office.
- Before treatment, your doctor will apply topical lidocaine on your skin to minimize any discomfort during the procedure.
- Next, your specialist will adjust the length of the needles to fit your needs and evenly move a hand-held device on your skin, causing slight pricking. This process may take 30 minutes to one hour, depending on the size of the treatment area.
- Your doctor will then soothe your skin using a serum to minimize pain.
How to Care for Your Skin After Treatment
- Do not apply cold compresses on your face, as this may interfere with the recovery process.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for at least two weeks after micro-needling.
- Use sunscreen or wear a hat while outside to protect your skin from the sun.
- Use pain relievers such as Tylenol to minimize soreness.
Smooth, firm skin is attractive and makes you feel good about yourself. If you would like to clear the fine lines and age spots on your face, book a session with your specialist at Skin Shop medSpa for micro-needling to improve how you look.