Your roof is undoubtedly one of the most important elements of your house that affects the interior and the exterior of your house. In India, waterproofing your terrace is not a luxury but a necessity as your roof is exposed to extreme weather conditions throughout the year and is prone to crack and leak.
Though ideally, one should waterproof their roof and terrace while building a new house, there is no time like the present to get your roof waterproofed if you haven’t already. Read along to find out 6 reasons why you should consider waterproofing for your terrace.
- It increases the shelf life of your house
Your roof is perpetually exposed to extreme temperature variation, making it susceptible to damage. By using a good quality waterproofing solution, you can increase the longevity of your roof and eagerly welcome the monsoon without worrying about leaky roofs.
- It saves you money
Yes, you heard it right. You might save some bucks by skipping terrace waterproofing but in the long run, it will lead to nothing but costly repairs. You can avoid this in the first place by considering waterproofing for your terrace at the time of the construction.
- It will make your house look brand new forever
Constant water seepage will inevitably lead to ugly patches and stains on the walls in the interior and exterior of the house. You can prevent this by investing in a superior quality waterproofing solution that will maintain your roof and make your house look forever new.
- It will benefit your health
Ugly and damp walls are the least of your concern if you don’t address leaky roofs for a long period of time. Damp walls are the breeding ground for molds and fungus which can cause severe allergies and respiratory diseases. Hence, by considering water proofing for terrace from the beginning you will be saving yourself a trip to the clinic.
- Prevents structural damage
Untreated water seepage leads to erosion of the beams used to erect your house and causes irreparable damage to the structure of your house. By waterproofing your terrace, you can increase the durability of your house.
- It helps to keep your house cool
One of the perks of modern waterproofing solutions is that they are known to reduce the surface temperature of the house. This is a desirable advantage in India, which is infamous for its scorching summers.
How to choose the best waterproofing solution?
- While there are traditional methods of waterproofing like Brickbat Coba or the bituminous treatment where a thin layer of asphalt is applied on the surface of the roof, these methods are not reliable and require regular repairing.
- Another modern method consists of mixing chemicals with cement and using it as a layer of protection for your roof. This method again is not ideal as it isn’t durable and long-lasting.
- An ideal waterproof paint for the terrace is one that has a great bonding strength, crack bridging and adhesive properties.
- Choose a waterproofing solution that provides high-quality heat and UV resistance as it is a must to withstand the summers in India.
- Avoid using temporary quick fixes to repair your roof and invest in a waterproofing solution that offers great adhesion and durability.
- Don’t wait for heavy showers to crack your roof to consider using waterproof paint for terrace. Terrace waterproofing your house would save you a lot of time, money and energy in the long run.
Still clueless about how to go about waterproofing your terrace? Go to the Asian Paints website and get a free consultation from their experts who will help you with everything right from choosing the right waterproofing solution to executing the plan.
With SmartCare solutions by Asian Paints that comes with 8-10 years of warranty, you don’t have to worry about being roofless ever.